Thursday, July 18, 2013

Life in Pella

What a perfect and wonderful move this is!! We are THRILLLED to be here! Gods timing is always perfect (you'd think I've learned that by now but amazingly enough I seem to doubt it)! 

I could go page after page and tell you all the reasons why we love it here but I'll keep it brief;) sort of...

- family
Having Grandma and Opa right here is fantastic, the kids are loving it. We currently live in their basement until we find a place of our own so it's been super fun having them so close! 
Cousins Maria and Gerritt sure make life a lot of fun too. Having kids over almost every day makes my life easier too, I can sit and enjoy watching these four play the day away outside! And they get along fantastic too! 
- outside
This may seem odd to some of you, but to my Florida friends you will understand more. In Florida unless you have a pool in your backyard or love the sand and the beach every day, summer is just unbearable. Graham and Aliza wouldn't play outside more than 10 min because it was either too hot or there were too many Mosquitos! But here, (now don't get me wrong it's hot, 95 right now) but its a different heat, it's bearable, you can escape the torturous heat of the sun in the shade. I love seeing the smiles on my kids face as sweat drenches their hair and clothes! Much better than the complaining that used to happen in Florida!
-safety
Yes, anything can happen, anywhere. But this is small town USA, the middle of Iowa, Midwest US! A place where everyone knows everyone, everyone looks out for everyone and everyone is polite and kind! I'm not exaggerating! Little things amuse me, today we walked up to town to the bakery and an older man was walking too, he met up with us and chatted with us and paid A LOT of attention to the kids! In Bradenton, I would have been tempted to call the cops and would have immediately been on guard that he was a creep, but here I was so at ease, just a nice old man, who missed his grand kids and wanted to get his kid fix while his were away! 
And while I know bad things happen everywhere, I love living in a town where the crime rate is less than 1%, and I don't have to lock my doors when I leave the house, I can leave my keys in the car in my own driveway, and just feel an overwhelming sense of protection.
 -church
We left an amazing church in Florida which we miss immensely! Church shopping is something I absolutely despise, but after one Sunday and listening to previous sermons online, I can say with pretty much certainty we have found a body of believers that love The Lord, want to serve Him, a pastor that preaches the truths of Gods Word clearly and sincerely, without apology, and worship that is so genuine, there is no showing-ness whatsoever! We are so excited to continue this journey at Liberty Evangelical Free church and get to know some of the people there!
-sleeping
this may seem trivial, but my children sleep here like crazy! Aliza has been taking 3 hr naps every day, and both kids sleep in to about 8 am central time which is 9 eastern time!!! My kids always woke up at 7 am eastern time before!! It must be all the running around outside and fresh air:) even last night as we lay in bed, I heard Aliza say to Graham, "bedtime, bedtime- we sleep a lot here Graham!" Haha 
-the town itself
From the cute touristy Dutch bakeries and meat markets, to yummy mom and pop shops and restaurants, parks with playgrounds on literally every block, the amazing aquatic center with slides, a lazy river, pool and kiddie water park for only $6, to family friendly activities like Thursday Night's in Pella where the town comes out to the square and eats from vendors and then enjoys music from a teen worship band- (yes they play worship music in the town square at a town sponsored event), and then classical hits from the town orchestra! 

Oh and my last name here is normal, in fact it's much more than normal, it's actually an easier name than most;) and people don't ask how to spell it! 

It may seem like I'm bragging or making it all up, but seriously life here is so simple! Farmers who are working hard on their farms all day and kids who work their summer days to earn money for college, an atmosphere of morality and safety, a small town that takes pride in their Dutch heritage and celebrates it in the towns buildings and festivals constantly. 

I have heard many times since being here how much people love raising their family here and I am sooooo glad God brought us here! I am so glad Graham and Aliza and Amelia will all grow up next to family and cousins and hard working people who love The Lord and love them and in a town where they don't have a care in the world! 

Now to find a house to live in! Haha

I guess this is my chance to trust that Gods timing is always perfect right?? 

No comments: